Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Greatest show ever...

Okay, I hope you have all seen this 1987 classic at some point in your life. If not, you were deprived as a child. I had to run to my parents and watch Luke for a bit while my mom went to the doctor's. He was asleep so I started channel surfing. Lo and behold, this little gem of a show happened to be on so I caught the last 45 minutes of it. Dare I say, it might be my favorite movie and it gets better every time you watch it. A couple of things to note:
a) we used to watch this all the time as kids and now when I watch it, I realize things that I didn't as a child. It's all about sex AND Hollywood is a nasty, gay man. Apparently, Di and Rich figured we wouldn't know what they were talking about, which we didn't.
b) whoever thought of the storyline is genius..A stock boy falls in love with a mannequin that comes to life at night?? Are you serious? At this point in my life, I appreciate these awesome 80's storylines. The only thing comparable today is "Snakes on a Plane". Although I haven't seen it, I doubt it holds a candle to Mannequin.
c) Roxy's hair is awesome..She is sporting a bun and ponytail all in one. Who can pull that off? Only Roxy.
d) In the end, they get married in a mall window, ceremony performed by Hollywood. It doesn't get any better than that.
e) Kim Cattrell has never looked better. You know this show was a resume booster for her.

If you don't know what I am talking about, this is a MUST SEE!

And in doing some research online, I found that there is a Mannequin 2. Any takers?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Al- I am so glad you posted about this movie. This movie is a Carter-girl fave. We used to watch it too when we were little and also had no idea what they were talking about then too. Even better- we would watch it with Kellee when she was little- like 5- and she loved it and would watch it over and over until she could quote lines from it. And may I add that I have a mixed CD in my car right now that plays that song at the end of the movie when they get married. Good stuff.

Jessica said...

This is why you are the best Al & KT!

the Schrofs... said...

K- so funny. Schrof was just telling me the other day that this is up there as one of his favorite shows of all time. I have never seen it, but you've got my attention now!

Ange

Scott and Lindsey said...

Scott and I watched this not to long ago. Neither of us realized that half of Scott's standard quotes come from this film. I love the window displays. If nothing else dates this film, it is the concept that the "awesome" displays are going to save the store. I used to want to be the mannequin when she gets to have the dance-out in the store with multiple costume changes. I thought she was the coolest ever!
I also used to love, Legend, Labyrinth, Willow, Girls Just Want To Have Fun...they aren't the same when you watch them as an adult.

Leymaster Family said...

Oh my goodness!!! I had forgotten abou this movie until now. I remember you used to make me watch it and I have to admit I thought it was a little strange. My favorite we watched over and over was Babyboom with Diane Keaton. We were random movie watchers!

Tara and Dan said...

I used to LOVE this movie. I get scared to watch old movies because I'm afraid it will taint my perfect memory of them. Someone told me that Labrynth was really stupid when they watched it as an adult. BOO. Protect the memories!