Wednesday, May 13, 2009

JoKes on YoU!



Last night, I went down to Temple Square to plant flowers with my ward. As we were standing on the sidewalk, waiting for buckets of "dirt" aka horse crap, we saw something in the distance. A man was trying to maneuver his way on a unicycle down the sidewalk. That right there just makes me happy, I can't help it! If that wasn't good enough, he was also sporting a large bow tie and carrying a briefcase. I have no doubt that he rode that uni ride out of the church office building. As Molly and I saw him coming, we just had to stare. As he passed, I just smiled while Molly yelled, "YAY!" He just looked at us like we were idiots. Her tone made it seem like he was 5-years-old, learning to ride a bike for the first time, or a uni...

I don't know what it is but for some reason, I can't take a unicycler seriously. Balancing on that one wheel definitely takes skills, but what drives a person to ride one? Is it for attention? Reminds me of a classic story. My friend Ally was dating a guy when we were at the U. Things were going well until she saw him riding a unicycle on campus. It was a deal breaker. I can't blame her. As shallow as it seems, I would have pulled the same move....

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I can't wait to see the church movie you were all in. Now onto the unicyclers of the world--is it weird that I don't even flinch when I see one anymore because of the crazy counter-culture that took violent hold of the BYU? I abhor weirds who think that it's normal to make their way on one wheel. It's creepy!

Kristen said...

True story: one of my college roommates met her husband in juggling club at BYU. He not only rode a unicycle, but also had a "show" unicycle that was 10 feet tall, which he rode while juggling AND playing the accordion. I witnessed this with my own eyes. So, there ARE people out there for unicyclists. It doesn't have to be you.

Ally said...

oh i hope mr. unicycle doesn't ever have access to your blog. wow..haven't thought about him in a while. good times.