Monday, February 23, 2009

Confessions

So, maybe I set my alarm an hour earlier than I usually get up so that I could hear Jillian from the Bachelor on 97.1. I usually don't see the light of day any earlier than 7:30 but today was a special exception. I love her and she DID NOT disappoint! I decided that if we knew each other in real life, we would totally be friends...

Second, my friend Jayna had a dessert party on Saturday night. I went to the gym that morning and decided that I would work out for an extra hour so I could eat til my little heart was content later that night. I think I went back for seconds 6-7 times so I'm not sure that my extra efforts were worth anything. We were all sitting around the table chatting when a little favorite of mine popped up on Jayna's IPod. Hold On by Wilson Phillips. A classic for any girl (0r guy for that matter) that grew up in the early 90's. Immediately, we all started singing in unison. Before we knew it, we could no longer hear the delectable sounds of Carnie, Wendy and Chynna. We suddenly split into a 2-part harmony and I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a little tear in my eye. Who knew we could all sound so good?? I'm in band so I wasn't surprised by my own vocals but the rest of those closet singers were NOT messing around!

This led to a conversation about how we could sing this in Relief Society and get away with it. Listen to the words...it could TOTALLY be gospel related, ESPECIALLY in a singles ward. Our little minds were churning and if you know my ward, anything goes, so I seriously don't see it causing a problem. Sadly, there is probably a small percentage of girls who have never heard of the WP. They should be shot. Some classic tunes came from those girls and you can thank me later for giving you a little sample below. I do need a musical number for RS in a few weeks so warm up your vocals girls!

**If you didn't catch my sarcasm, yes, I am in a band, and no we are not good, even though we are called "The Goods". Our Christmas album was nothing short of fantastic though and we are currently in the studio recording a "pop" album. More details to come.









Get a playlist!
Standalone player
Get Ringtones!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh how Wilson Philips just brings back a flood of memories! This may be one of your best posts yet you funny, whitty friend-o-mine!

Unknown said...

Gel you are officially hillarious!! Do you remember the night we spent in the "pleasure palace" with Elissa, Ed, and I think it was Finehour? We totally rocked out to WP. Good times!

Brooke said...

I know this pain
Why do lock yourself up in these chains?
No one can change your life except for you
Don't ever let anyone step all over you
Just open your heart and your mind
Is it really fair to feel this way inside?

Someday somebody's gonna make you want to turn around and say goodbye (say goodbye)
Til then, baby are you gonna let them hold you down and make you cry
Dont you know?
Dont you know things can change
Things'll go your way
If you hold on for one more day
Can you hold on for one more day
Things'll go your way
Hold on for one more day

You could sustain
Or are you comfortable with the pain?
You've got no one to blame for your unhappiness
You got yourself into your own mess
Lettin' your worries pass you by
Dont you think its worth your time
To change your mind?

(chorus)

I know that there is pain
But you hold on for one more day and break free from the chains.
Yeah I know that there is pain
But you hold on for one more day and you break free, break from the chains

Someday somebody's gonna make you want to turn around and say goodbye (say goodbye)
Til then, baby are you gonna let them hold you down and make you cry
Don't you know?
Don't you know things can change
Things'll go your way
If you hold on for one more day yeah
If you hold on

Don't you know things can change
Things'll go your way
If you hold on for one more day,
If you hold on
Can you hold on
Hold on baby
Won't you tell me now
Hold on for one more day cause
It's gonna go your way

Don't you know things can change
Things'll go your way
If you hold on for one more day
Can't you change it this time

Make up your mind
Hold on
Hold on
Baby hold on

TRUER WORDS WERE NE'ER SPOKEN!!!

Uzi said...

Words never sounded SO good!

jayna said...

SHUT UP. you are in a band????? alli, why have i never known this? are you auditioning for any other members??? i would love it. and after reading brooke's comment, i sort of almost stood up in my chair to sing the chorus.... lol.

the Schrofs... said...

What the Band?!! We were so busy talking about stupid boys I didn't even hear about the Band. We definitely need to chat again soon. And by the way, your blog is my VERY favorite. Always entertaining! Love it.

Ange