Monday, April 13, 2009

H.O.P.E.

One of my best friend's world is changing.

Within a two week span, EVERYTHING that she knew will forever be different.

This turn of events has made me think a lot. About how we take our everyday lives for granted and the people in them. About how getting up in the morning and going about our days is something we should be grateful for. Not only do I love her, but I LOVE her parents and I can't help but wonder what the future holds.

The strength and attitude of this family is something to live for. When she broke the news to me, SHE was the one comforting me and telling me everything was going to be okay and that it was just "part of the plan". I can't help feeling a little silly because SHE had to reassure ME about something I already knew. Ironically, it should have been the other way around. That shows the kind of strength and spirit she has.

My mind has been flooded with memories of my time in their home.

Their house was a second home for me and I will forever be grateful for the kindness and generosity they have offered me. I single handedly drank most of their milk, ate most of their candy in the "drawer", and ALWAYS felt welcome there. Between the road trips and late nights at their house, I dare say that THEY were definitely the coolest parents around. Parents that you wanted to hang out with, because they were seriously that cool.

In times of trial, our FAITH is the only thing that holds us up. It's times like these that define who we are and what we are made of.

If anyone can fight this, HE can. It's in his nature. He won't go quietly. I have no doubt about that.

Elder Ballard said it best.

"My message to you today, my brothers and sisters, is simply this: the Lord is in control. He knows the end from the beginning. He has given us adequate instruction that, if followed, will see us safely through any crisis. His purposes will be fulfilled, and someday we will understand the eternal reasons for all of these events. Therefore, today we must be careful to not overreact, nor should we be caught up in extreme preparations; but what we must do is keep the commandments of God and never lose hope!
Faith in God and in His Son, Jesus Christ, is absolutely essential for us to maintain a balanced perspective through times of trial and difficulty. Remember, nothing will occur in our lives that He does not understand. Alma taught, “And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.”
As the end of the Savior’s mortal ministry drew near, He offered this reassuring hope to His beloved disciples: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

My prayers are with you...

1 comment:

Gardner's said...

Well, now I AM crying!! AHH! That was so sweet. And I agree that he won't go quietly. I loved the Elder Ballard statement. Thanks for your sweet words and most importantly your friendship...I am going to need my best friend now more than ever! My dad was so glad you came by the other night he was asking all week "Where's my Alli-babe?" so he was glad to see you too! love you!