Monday, March 16, 2009

Let's talk about this...

So every Monday and Wednesday, I get the fun opportunity to go and tutor two little boys at Midvale Elementary. Gustavo is my first grader and Chris is my fourth grader. They have really become my little buddies and I look forward to reading with them each week. We read all kinds of books and I try to find things that they are interested in reading. With Gustavo, his reading level is lower so most of his books are about stupid things. Today, we read a book called Getting a Haircut. Not the most exciting book but it has the words that he needs to practice. As we were learning about a little girl and her day at the beautyshop, Gustavo seemed pretty uninterested. Then, we turned to the last page and I about died. See below.



I'm not sure we should be promoting mullets in the books that we let our kids read. This led to a very serious discussion about what a mullet is. I told Gustavo that they were gross and that even though they may be very popular in his culture, he should never have one. I made him pinky swear and I'm pretty sure I made my point. Just to be sure, we went over it again at the end of the lesson. Looks like dad needs a haircut too.

1 comment:

Gardner's said...

I am laughing so hard right now...You did not tell little Gustavo that mullets are popular in his culture?? Only you!! That is classic. And, I love that you made him pinky swear when his dad and uncles probably all have one!! You crack me up!! So cool about Amazing Race. John and I have been wanting to go on that show forever too!! We practice in the car with not yelling at eachother when we are lost and remind eachother that camera's are on!